16 April 2006


While that last post covers some of what we were up to 7 months ago, this post will detail some of our exploits from this month. To be more precise, from Sunday the 9th of April, between the hours of 8am and 5pm (approximately), when we headed out to the Dandenong Ranges and went for a little stroll through the forest.

We left home in the morning, but ran into trouble almost immediately - our tram (and most trams into the city) weren't running to their destinations because there was some sort of charity run (Run For The Kids) sweating its way through the city. We started walking earlier than intended.

After facing the reality of the Melbourne trains' Sunday timetable, we were well and truly ready for a nice bit of fresh countryside. From Belgrave station, we followed a roadside path to what surely must be a contender for the world's least useful tourist information offices ("They don't let us have any maps here...") - although, to be fair, they do sell roasted chestnuts. Anyway, despite the best efforts of the tourist information man, we found the start of our path. After a couple of kms of walking through dense forest of immensely tall trees, we came across a picnic area, where we stopped for a bit and ate an apple each, whilst being watched and circled by a large squawk of cockatoos (well then, YOU tell me what the collective noun is for cockatoos).

After this, we headed up a path that lead away from the road, and climbed and weaved, steadily higher and higher, through very green and peaceful bush land for another few kms. We came out of the trees, onto a quiet country lane, past country houses and a guesthouse, and a cute cast iron bench to which Rachel took a particular fancy. We followed this road for a while, then came across another picnic area, and decided that it was time for lunch. It was drizzling by now, and the only space in the area that was covered was the information board, so we sat on the ground underneath it, munching away happily as passers by gave us odd looks.

We then continued on our way, beginning our descent back towards the starting point, down an increasingly muddy path. We took a brief detour down some perilously slippery steps to take a peek at Sherbrooke Falls, then continued along the path, which brought us out to a point almost directly opposite where we had started our walk. Back in Belgrave, we stopped of at the surprisingly good Queen of Tarts cafe, before shivering our way home for a nice hot cup of lemon and honey drink.

Pics may or may not be forthcoming.

Today (Easter Sunday, and our 3 years 9 months anniversary), we went for another walk, this time shorter and more local. We trammed up Sydney Road to Pentridge Prison, then walked from Coburg Lakes down along the Merri Creek to our newly purchased home, then back over to Sydney Road, where we had a nice lunch of bread and dips at Alasya, and Rachel went bargain hunting at VMart (no, that's not a typo).

Days off are great.

No comments:

Post a Comment