23 March 2005

20 DAYS TO GO

20 days to go... For some reason I considered buying a Tim Winton book yesterday. I've never liked Tim Winton, because when we had to read him in high school I felt like I was being force-fed "the country" (as in rural Australia). And it felt fake - not like the country I was living in. And I thought he was probably a wanker. Now, I'm probably wrong (I hope I'm wrong), and I know I haven't got any basis for this Tim Winton disgust, but it's there all the same. It felt like the writing of a city-dweller who decided to rough it for a bit in some small rural town. Not like someone who had actually lived there all their life. But then again, he's writing mainly for aforementioned city-dwellers, so maybe that's the only way they/you can see "the bush." Tim Winton is like an updated version of... I was going to say Henry Lawson. But maybe Banjo Patterson is a better example. A middle-aged white male writer. And, whether or not this is in any way accurate, you can now see why ME considering to buy one of HIS books is cause for concern!

Maybe the words (Dirt Music, or Cloudstreet) could stretch like an umbilical cord from my Europe-bound belly button to Australia. I was going to write "to my home," but that's a little innacurate, as Tim Winton does not connect me to my parents, or to the house in which I grew up, or to my friends. Just to an abstract notion of a nation. A nation in which dwell thousands of people who will also be reading Tim Winton. And that's not nothing, that's something.

*

In other news - aside from that rant - I (Rachel) have only 2 shifts left at the bookshop, and 5 at the post office. Only 20 days. Dan has 1-2 weeks of work left. If you're reading this, then you probably already know about the going away thing on Saturday 2nd April. If not, give us a call, or email, and we'll update you. We are starting to pack up the house. All the books are going into boxes. I didn't realise we had so many! We are also planning on having a garage sale on Sat 2nd April from 9-4, and on Sun 3rd April from 10-4. So come along - there will be clothes, furniature, kitchen stuff, books, general crap. Also selling a mini-disk player (Sony). It cost me $400 when I bought it about 3 years ago. Asking $200. It can also record, and I can throw in a really dodge mic. Have booked some internal flights in Europe (UK-Spain, Spain-Italy). Very excited! See you all soon, I hope.

1 comment:

  1. i bet this comes as a surprise to you. was thinking of you as a visitor showed me these cottages in scotland on the internet. some had otters. this might also surprise you, as otters can be alarming. i wish you luck in your travels and hope you bring me back an otter with a furry hat.

    ReplyDelete